Vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes are used extensively on menus throughout the day. They are used in breakfast items, entrÃƒÂ©es and accompaniments and even as main courses by themselves.
Traditionally, these items were prepared by the Chef Entremettier (vegetable section) except for fruit and pasta which were produced by the Chef Patissier. Preparing and cooking these items correctly is a key skill for any professional chef.
Components in this Module
1 - Introduction
- Menu Impacts
- Environmental Concerns
- Selecting Ingredients
- Selecting Equipment
- Assembling and Preparing Ingredients
2 - Vegetable and Fruit Knowledge
- Vegetable and Fruit Knowledge
- Nutrition in Vegetables and Fruit
- Factors Influencing Vitamin Retention
- Minerals (Trace Elements)
- Types of Vegetables and Fruit
- Checkpoint 1
- Green Vegetables
- Heirloom Varieties
- Fruit and Vegetable Picture Examples
- Mushroom Storage and Preparation
- Checkpoint 2
- Storage of Fruit and Nuts
- Fruit, Herbs and Nuts Picture Examples
- Fruit and Vegetable Identification Challenge
- Checkpoint 3
- Seasonality of Vegetables and Fruit
- Purchasing Specifications for Vegetables, Fruits and Nuts
- Portion Sizes of Vegetables
- Hygiene Issues
- Purchasing, Storage and Handling of Vegetables
- Handling Procedures
- Principles for Storage
- Preparation Techniques
- Precision Cuts: Brunoise
- Precision Cuts: Jardiniere
- Precision Cuts: Julienne
- Precision Cuts: Macedoine
- Precision Cuts: Paysanne
- Organisation and Workflow
3 - Vegetables and Fruit Cookery
- Vegetables and Fruit Cookery
- Cookery Methods for Vegetables
- Differences in Cookery Methods
- Vegetables Cookery Methods Moist Heat
- Vegetables Cookery Methods Dry Heat and Microwave
- Cookery Methods Used for Fruit
- Fruit Cookery Methods Moist Heat
- Fruit Cookery Methods Dry Heat and Microwave
- Checkpoint 4
- Menu Uses of Vegetables and Fruit
- Menu Uses of Fruit
- Appropriate Sauces for Vegetables and Fruit
- Vegetarian Diets
- Using Vegetarian Dishes
4 - Potato Dishes
- Potato Dishes
- Potato Types
- Potato Accompaniments
- Baked Potato Dishes
- Baked Potato Dish Examples
- Water-Finished Potato Dishes
- Water-Finished Potato Dish Examples
- Water-Blanched & Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
- Water-Blanched & Fat-Finished Potato Dish Examples
- Fat-Blanched & Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
- Fat-Blanched & Fat-Finished Potato Dish Examples
- Directly Fat-Finished Potato Dishes
- Directly Fat-Finished Potato Dish Examples
- Duchess Potatoes (Pommes Duchesse)
- Duchess Potato Dishes
- Duchess Potato Dish Examples
- Basic Preparation for Duchess Potatoes
- Making Duchess Potatoes
- Checkpoint 5
5 - Farinaceous Dishes
- Farinaceous Dishes
- Dried Pasta
- Boiling Dried Pasta
- Common Pasta Varieties
- Pasta Varieties Examples
- Pasta Identification Challenge
- Preparing Fresh Pasta
- Preparing Fresh Pasta Video
- Boiling Fresh Pasta
- Pasta Dishes
- Gnocchi Varieties
- Checkpoint 6
- Rice Types Picture Examples
- Rice Menu Items
- Making Risotto
- Conde Rice
- Making Pilaf Rice
- Chinese-style Boiled or Steamed Rice
- Fried Rice
- Making Fried Rice
- Cracked Wheat and Bulgur
- Sago and Tapioca
- Making Polenta
- Grain Identification Challenge
- Pulses (Legumes)
- Pulses (Legumes) Examples
- Preparing Pulses
- Farinaceous Menu Examples
- Purchasing and Storage
- Checkpoint 7
6 - Egg Knowledge
- Egg Knowledge Overview
- Types of Eggs
- Culinary Uses
- Egg Structure
- Egg Convenience Products
- Eggs and Hygiene
- Freshness of the Egg
- Storage and Handling of Eggs
- Processing Eggs
- Separating Eggs
- Cooking with Eggs
- Protein Coagulation
- Cooking with Eggs Cont.
- Checkpoint 8
- Boiling Eggs
- How to Boil an Egg
- Frying Eggs
- How to Fry an Egg
- Poaching Eggs
- How to Poach an Egg
- Menu Uses of Eggs
- Problem Solving for Eggs
- Suitable Accompaniments
7 - Presentation and Storage
- Presentation and Storage
8 - Conclusion
- Checkpoint 9
No previous knowledge or experience is required.
The online courses are made up of a number of learning modules. Each module has an estimated time to complete them (click on the ‘i’ next to the module to get the time).
The time to complete a module can vary based on your existing knowledge of the material.
No need to finish the course in one session. You can log in and out as many times as you like, until the course end date. The course end date is shown when entering the training. The system remembers what you have completed and you can continue on from where you left off.
How does it work?
Once we receive confirmation of your payment (which could take up to 24 hours), you will receive an email with your login details. Go to the login page which will be emailed to you. Enter your details then click on the name of the course when you are ready to start.
How do I pay?
Pay with mastercard or visa through our secure PayPal internet payment facility. You can also select to ‘Generate an Invoice’ or ‘Make An Enquiry’ and we will get back to you with a group pricing as a quote or submission for you to respond to.
Who should do this course?
These courses are for anyone who wants to learn more or wants to extend their resume by becoming more knowledgable in their company.
How will I be assessed?
Each module is broken into sections with checkpoints, interactive challenges and quiz questions throughout. You are required to go through each section and answer every question correctly to be deemed competent. If you answer any questions incorrectly, you will be given feedback on which question you answered incorrectly. You can then correct your response and continue.
Will I receive a certificate?
These are non accredited corporate-based short courses and if successful you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Steps to proceed with enrolling in a Course
Step 1 – Select a Course(s) by adding it to the Shopping Cart.
Step 2 – Pay for the course (using Paypal).
Step 3 – Once we have received the payment we will send you an email confirming your order.
Step 4 – This email will have instructions for connecting to the course, your login ID and password.
Step 5 – Complete the online course.
Step 6 – Once the course has been successfully completed, you will have access to your certificate.